Sometimes I love to make a carb-free dish to eat for lunch or breakfast, and this fritatta is the perfect thing for that! It’s so easy to do and tastes amazing. You get your protein, some healthy fats, and lots of veggies all in one simple dish. I love to top my fritattas with sprouts too for extra health benefits. This recipe is so diverse and you can get creative with it! Simply use my ingredients as a guide! You can use spinach or kale, top with or without tomatoes, and spice it up using jalapeno peppers or go without.
- 1/2 chopped white onion
- 2 handfuls raw organic spinach or kale
- 1 handful chopped mushrooms
- 3 slices bacon, cut into slices and cooked separately (uncured nitrate free humanely raised)
- 5 pastured eggs
- 1/2 bell pepper sliced and diced (if buying red bell pepper try to buy organic)
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper sliced and diced (seeds removed; if not using jalapeno but you like it hot, instead add some red pepper flakes to the dish)
- 1-2 rinsed and sliced roma tomatoes (optional)
- Spices: turmeric, pink salt, black pepper, garlic powder, paprika
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
Take your medium sized cast iron and after cooking the bacon, saute your onions and peppers until translucent (I keep the bacon grease and cook the veggies in it). Add your mushrooms and spinach and saute until wilted. I usually add a little bit of pink salt and pepper to the veggies at this stage as well.
Now take your eggs and whisk them separately, adding the turmeric, garlic powder, a touch more pink salt and pepper. Pour the eggs into the cast iron. Add roma tomatoes at this stage if you like and eat tomatoes, and immediately place in oven and bake for about 10-12 minutes.
Serves two. Two different versions below!