Tried, tested, repeated! I go back to this waffle recipe just about every weekend.
Simple ingredients tossed in a blender and turned into a waffle. Nutritious, filling, delicious. Now feel free to use whatever flavor protein powder you have on hand! Vanilla also works great and you could add more lemon zest and even a squeeze of 1/2 lemon to get lemon flavor! The lemon sorbet protein has a light lemon flavor and it’s simply delicious as a waffle. I sometimes make these and save them for midday high protein snacks! Each waffle is about 25 grams of protein so half of a waffle is a great snack with 12 grams protein and around 3.5 grams of fat! Perfect pre-workout fuel!
Ingredients (2 servings)
- 2 whole large eggs + 2-3 tbsp egg whites (or 3 whole eggs)
- 1 small banana
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 large scoop Lemon Sorbet Ascent whey protein powder (plant protein may not yield a good consistency)
- Lemon zest – zest about 1/4 of a lemon
- 1/4 cup organic full fat plain yogurt (I LOVE Seven Stars Farm yogurt! It’s delicious!!! The best. If you choose to omit yogurt though I would do nut milk instead)
- 1 tbsp Monk Fruit syrup (optional)
- Pull out your waffle iron and plug it in. Have your spray oil ready.
- Next grab your blender and put all ingredients inside, starting with the wet ingredients. Blend on high speed for about 30 seconds to 1 minute, scrape sides as needed to ensure everything blended seamlessly. (Check the consistency: you want the batter to be thin but not too runny. If it’s too thick add more nut milk so it’s a smooth, slightly thin consistency. If it seems to be too thin you can sprinkle in extra oats and blend until it’s nice and creamy)
- When waffle iron is hot, spray either side with the coconut oil spray or avocado spray and pour about 1/3 cup onto the iron, careful not to overflow (it’s better to have extra room than not enough!)
- Close the iron and cook about 2.5 – 3 mins. Usually 3 minutes is perfect. Repeat with the remaining batter, should make 2 waffles (sometimes there is extra batter and that is OK just make another one).
That is it! Sometimes I will double the recipe and make a batch of 4 waffles if I want to meal prep extra for travel, etc. If I double the recipe I simply do a large banana or 1.5 banana, 2 big scoops protein powder, 2 cups of oats and 5 whole eggs. These reheat very well for about 1 min in microwave. Store leftovers in the fridge up to 4-5 days.
Top with blueberries or sliced strawberries, a drizzle of maple syrup or monk fruit syrup for 0 sugar sweetener, and a few chopped pecans or walnuts!
Happy eating! Be sure to make this and let me know your thoughts.
Rough macronutrients: ~25 proteins, 7 fats, 40 carbs