I love to get salmon on the menu on a weekly basis because of the healthy omega-3 fats! Salmon is so good for you! Loaded with healthy proteins and fats. I prefer to get wild when possible and the canned version is definitely cheaper than fresh. These cakes are sure to be a favorite. They are even great leftover and reheat well. You can use fresh salmon (baked first) OR you can make it even easier by using canned wild salmon. I like to purchase two cans of salmon to make a double batch for leftovers! If you do that, just double the ingredients. That is what I did below which is why I made so many!
Here’s the step-by-step recipe:
INGREDIENTS – SERVES ABOUT 2
- 1 can wild salmon (the big can), drained (feel free to use two cans and double it)
- 1/4 cup almond flour (double this if doing two cans of salmon)
- 1 egg (add an egg if doing two cans of salmon)
- 1/2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 – 1.5 tbsp mayo (I like an avocado based mayo)
- 1/4 diced red onion or less
- 1/4 cup diced celery (optional)
- 1/4 tsp pink salt, pepper to taste
- 1 tsp dill (use 2 tsp if doubling)
Take a large mixing bowl and put all ingredients together and stir well until combined. Assess your mixture – if it’s too wet, add a little bit more flour. If it’s too dry (unlikely) add more mayo or the second egg! You want the mixture to be just wet enough. Form into about 4-5 patties and place on a plate.
Next get a medium to large cast iron type of skillet and heat some avocado or other high cooking oil in it over medium-high. When the pan is hot, place about 3 cakes on the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes per side. You may want to start with closer to four minutes for the first side, and then just three minutes on the second side. But assess as you go. They should be nice and browned on both sides!
Serve with a touch of Primal Chipotle Mayo if desired! These are great over a bed of coconut rice.