This recipe calls for leftover prime rib. We cooked a huge 15 lb rib roast over Christmas so we ended up with lots of leftovers. If you made prime rib (I don’t have a recipe for this so just google how to do so if you want to make it), and you have leftovers, then this recipe is for you!
Ingredients (serves 8-10)
- 2-3 lbs leftover cubed prime rib roast
- 1 package sliced mushrooms
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 small bag carrots, peeled and chopped (I don’t buy baby carrots, these are the real deal, organic usually)
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 32 ounces organic beef broth, low sodium + extra water if needed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp thyme (or more)
- 2 tsp oregano (or more)
- Extra garlic powder, if needed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 sweet potatoes, peeled, cubed, and roasted
Saute onions and garlic over medium high heat in a large pot. Add your carrots and saute a few minutes more. Next add your seasonings, beef broth, water, bay leaves, prime rib, mushrooms and bring to a slow boil. Reduce heat and let simmer about 30 minutes. Taste it here and see if you need to adjust salt, pepper or garlic powder (i.e., add more).
While this is simmering, prep your potatoes. I simply peeled and cubed mine and roasted for 30 minutes or so until crispy. I seasoned with olive oil and coconut oil, pink salt, pepper and garlic powder (keep it simple).
Add your potatoes when the prime rib stew is finished simmering and give everything a good stir.