I was in a baking mood this weekend! First I made gluten free chocolate chip muffins and then lemon poppyseed sounded amazing! When I couldn’t find poppyseeds at Whole Foods I decided chia muffins would be even better (AND they are cheaper)! So that’s what I went with. Plus, with chia seeds there’s no risk of testing positive on a drug test and with my boyfriend being in a graduate school program where they randomly drug test, we don’t want to take that risk!!! Poppy seeds come from the poppy plant which is actually an opioid plant aka heroine and opium come from this plant. If you didn’t know that already, well, now you know!
These muffins are light and fluffy and delightfully lemon tasting!!
- 1.5 cups almond flour
- 2.5 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Dash of salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup of either honey, maple syrup or coconut palm sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted but not hot
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 2 lemons
- Preheat oven 350 degrees. Mix your dry ingredients in a bowl. Whisk your eggs, coconut oil, vanilla and honey/maple syrup and lemon juice in a separate bowl. Now add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well.
- Spoon into lined muffin tray (makes about 10 Muffins) and bake for 25 minutes.
- Let cool and enjoy!!!!!