This was a recipe creation inspired by one of my close friends who is as passionate about eating clean and fitness as I am! You can feel free to tweak this recipe to your liking. The general idea of it, though, is so delicious and that’s why I love it! Essentially, take some chicken breasts and cook them in the crockpot. Then shred with two forks. Then take 1-2 sweet potatoes, peel and slice in thin circles and bake for 30-35 minutes per my usual recipe, and then put it together with toppings of choice! I will tell you what I put on mine below. I plan to eat this for dinner for the next few nights and will prep the sweet potatoes each evening along with the peppers and add additional cans of black beans as necessary. I don’t always consume beans and prefer to avoid them most of the time, but, I am flexible when it comes to occasionally having beans, peanut butter, and cheese! Those items are not paleo, but are primal, so I do allow them on occasion – cheese being the very rare occasion.
INGREDIENTS (chicken serves 6-8 depending on serving sizes):
- 6 chicken breasts, cooked on high in crockpot for 5 hours and shredded with two forks (note that you can do 4 chicken breasts if you’d like; as little or as much as you want for leftovers)
- 1 sliced white or yellow onion, cooked with the chicken
- 1-2 poblano peppers, sliced, seeds removed and broiled for a few minutes, until slightly brown
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers, sliced, seeds removed and broiled for a few minutes, until slightly browned
- 1-2 cans black beans (I purchased BPA free lined can from Whole Foods), warm these on the stove in small pot over medium heat
- 1-2 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into thin circles
- Avocado, guacamole, raw goat milk cheddar cheese, optional toppings
- sea salt, pepper, paprika as needed for the chicken, black beans and sweet potato slices
First cook the chicken in the crockpot as stated previously. Shred with two forks and let sit. Add some clean BBQ sauce – try to find some without added sugar or preservatives or artificial ingredients – I use one that is sweetened with honey and I don’t add a lot! Then peel and slice your potatoes and coat in coconut oil/grassfed butter, some salt and pepper and paprika and bake at 450 for 35 mins, tossing once halfway. Keep an eye on the potatoes – because they are thinly sliced they may burn easily.
When the potatoes are done put them on a plate(s) evenly distributed and top with your shredded chicken, heated black beans (as much or little as you want), roasted peppers that are now diced, avocado/guacamole, and raw grassfed cheddar if you want. I chose to not eat cheese, but, my boyfriend loved the addition to his.
1 thought on “Primal BBQ Chicken Nachos”