Few things are more delicious than slow cooked, high quality pork, shredded to perfection. I am going to share this EASY recipe with you all. You can eat it plain, on organic corn taco shells, stuffed in a roasted sweet potato, however you’d like!
For an 8# pork, this will make about 10 servings.
- 1 large pork shoulder (high quality meat source, local or from Whole Foods)
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder
- Dash of apple cider vinegar
- Clean BBQ sauce (for adding after pork is finished – optional)
Pat the pork down with the sea salt, pepper and garlic powder. Add a little bit of apple cider vinegar to all sides as well, and place it in a large crockpot. Cook on low for 10-12 hours. Shred with two forks when finished. **note: if you purchase a larger pork shoulder such as 8#, it may take longer than 10 hours on low to cook. Just check it, and if needed, cook an additional hour or two on low before shredding. It should shred fairly easily.
For the mango pineapple salsa:
- 1 mango, chopped
- 1 cup pineapple, chopped
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- small handful cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 red onion, sliced and diced
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded, sliced and diced (optional)
- Sea salt, pepper
Mix ingredients for the salsa together in a bowl. Serve on top of the pork – you will have leftovers.
This recipe is great paired with my cilantro lime slaw with avocado “mayo”. Also great is organic jasmine rice topped with cilantro OR roasted sweet potato fries – great for higher carb days post-workout! Enjoy!