I don’t get sick very often and do everything I can every single day to fuel my body with proper nutrition, get adequate rest, sunshine and exercise. However, occasionally even the healthiest of people will get some kind of virus/illness. Below are things I do if/when I start to feel sick.
- Eat 1-2 (up to 3, safely) cloves raw garlic per day. Yes, raw garlic. Garlic is a natural antibiotic and can help you if you have a sore throat or if you feel like you are getting a virus. When I start to feel a sore throat coming I immediately eat some raw garlic daily, for a few days. Mince the garlic and eat it with a little raw local honey to help with the taste! Which leads me to my next suggestion…
- Eat raw, local honey! Honey has antimicrobial properties and can help you stop coughing. It’s also very soothing to a sore throat. Manuka honey is also an excellent option!
- Drink more water. I already drink at least a gallon of water daily but if I start to feel as though I am getting sick I try to drink even more. Water helps flush toxins out of your system!
- Make hot tea with ginger and orange peels. Hot tea is so soothing any time of day! When you are sick, making hot tea with fresh slices of ginger and orange peels is so beneficial and can, in my opinion, help boost your immune system so you recover quicker. Ginger has numerous health benefits and is very anti-inflammatory. Orange peels have loads of vitamin c and when these two are boiled together in a large pot of water, you get a very nutritious and delicious hot tea.
- Eliminate sugar (besides the raw honey like I mentioned/manuka honey) and limit carbohydrates (you should be doing this anyway as sugar is toxic to the body). Eat more veggies.
- Get more sleep. Your body needs to rest more if it’s fighting off infection so go to bed earlier!
- No alcohol. This should be obvious. Once again, if you are fighting off infection the last thing you need to do is overload your system with alcohol which your body has to use even more energy to process.
- Make fresh juice – don’t drink store bought! Unless you are juicing fresh veggies and fruit in your own kitchen, don’t drink any juice. One yummy recipe I do is carrots, apple, ginger, lemon. Most, if not all, store bought juices are pure sugar and your best bet would be to eat the fresh fruit itself or juice it! Celery, green apple, kale, ginger is also delicious and so good for you! That way you are getting the nutrients as soon as they are juiced as opposed to them sitting on a shelf/in the fridge for weeks!
So that’s it! Avoid taking medicines if possible! Most medicines contain extra ingredients that are crap and we don’t need that in our system. I rarely take medicine! I try to cure myself with natural remedies if possible. Sleep, vegetables/diet, sunshine, exercise = best medicines and best way to stay healthy! So if you want to avoid getting sick I would definitely adopt the lifestyle that I live and breathe!